I recently surveyed consumers familiar with photo products to better understand their attitudes toward photo books and long-term preservation. I ran the survey in a photo-related group on Facebook in October 2021 to get a variety of responses from customers who had experience with various manufacturers.
The responses indicated a comfort level with current photo books, as well as opportunities for future growth. Some customers were comfortable purchasing photo books from a specific manufacturer; others were less comfortable or in some cases, unwilling to buy photo books.
I received sixty-eight unique responses:
- 4.4% have had experience with poor quality photo books and will not purchase photo books because of their experience.
- 8.8% have not used photo because of concerns about durability and longevity.
- 26.5% would be more likely to use photo books if they had more information about their durability and longevity.
- 38.2% of consumers want more information on photo book durability and longevity.
Even though I received only a limited number of responses, these responses are typical of the industry as a whole. Many consumers want more information about the permanence of photo books, and some consumers will not order photo books without better assurances that their photo books will be durable and long-lasting
Specific comments are also informative:
- I did photo books from [one manufacturer] that are still lovely 10 years later. I have been disappointed by other companies.
- I am so very picky about which companies BECAUSE previous purchases turned out poorly.
- I don’t want to waste my money on photo books that are poor quality. I will spend my money on albums that are more likely to last, but I also want a digital copy of the pages so that I can reprint as necessary should a book get destroyed through deterioration or forces out of my control.
- I’m not as confident in what’s currently available but my [current manufacturer] books seems to be doing well so far.
Feel free to add your thought about the quality, durability, and permanence of photo books you have purchased in the comments to this message.