All squares are rectangles (see Long Live the Rectangle), but not all rectangles are squares and of all rectangles the square is the most flexible. I began to understand the reason for the square when I started traditional scrapbooks. 12×12 was the most popular size, and I adopted it for all my projects. When I switched to photo books, I continued to create squares:
- Horizontal and vertical photos fit on the page with minimal wasted space.
- Layouts with multiple photos make it easy to combine horizontal and vertical photos on the same page.
- There’s lots of space to add text.
- The 12×12 is the largest size that fits on a standard bookshelf, allowing more photos per page.
- The 12×12 is easily resized to an 8×8 for gifts or a second copy.
- Finally and most importantly, big photo books are more impressive than small ones.
By the way, the square also gives me another way to highlight my two sons, Ed and Noah.