You’ve seen them. They are everywhere. People looking at a cell phone on a stick. What they are actually doing is taking photos of themselves. Here are the top ten reasons:
- 10. Germaphobia. You can’t stand the thought of anyone else touching your cell phone.
- 9. Halitosis. No one will know how bad your breath is.
- 8. Ignorance. You never realize how stupid you looked taking a photo of yourself.
- 7. Xenophobia. You don’t have to ask strangers to you to take your photo.
- 6. Envy. They might have a better cell phone than you.
- 5. Paranoia. They might be spying on you.
- 4. It the newest Minnesota State Fair sensation – cell phone on a stick.
- 3. Narcissism. You have too few pictures of yourself.
- 2. More narcissism. You just like taking photos of yourself.
- 1. Even more narcissism. You have to be in all your photos.
Although selfie sticks appear to be a relatively recent invention, they were actually either invented in Japan or on QVC in 2006. More recently, sales of selfie sticks have taken off and they were listed in Time Magazine’s 25 best inventions of 2014. See The Short History of the Fast-Selling Selfie Stick and Exactly Where Did the Selfie Stick Come From? for more details.