Currently, I don’t use any photo organization programs. Here is what I want and what I don’t want in photo organization.
- Files – Keep photo files in their original location in their original format. I don’t want my photos stored in a proprietary format, nor do I want to burden my hard disk by storing another copy of files that already exist.
- Editing – Provide an easy way to review, rotate images that are oriented incorrectly, and delete unwanted photos. Offer an option for automatic image enhancement.
- Information – Allow me to add the details about my photos. Store all the information or metadata about a photo in the original file, avoiding extra files that can become lost or separated from the original files.
- Location – The program should recognize geographical tags that are present and provide a way to add location to photos without that information. All photos should be searchable by location.
- People – Provide an easy way of automatically recognizing and labeling people who are present in photos and for finding photos of specific people.
- Organization – Keep track of where my photos are. Maintain records for internal drives on multiple computers, multiple external hard drives, CDs and DVDs, and social networking sites.
- Backup – Automatically backup photos from specific directories to specified locations.
- Import – Automatically import photos from cell phones or cameras with wireless capabilities.
- Export – Export a version of my photo without any associated identifying information or meta data for sharing online.
Are you aware of any products that fit the bill? Have I missed anything? Am I asking for too much?