- 12×12 – I design all my pages for this size and have no particular interest in smaller books.
- Softcover or Spiral Binding – I prefer to spend my money on my photos, not on an expensive hardcover binding
- PUR Adhesive – Photo books made with hot-melt adhesive will fall apart over time.
- Laminated or Coated Cover – Laminating or coating a cover protects it from damage due to handling.
With four simple requirements and a multitude of photo book manufacturers, I should be able to easily find what I am looking for. Unfortunately, it is not so easy.
I was able to identify three photo book suppliers that offer 12×12 softcover photo books: viovio, Michaels, and mypictales. Viovio and Michaels offer a perfect bound 12×12 softcover book, while viovio uses a spiral binding system. Other suppliers choose to offer the 12×12 size only in hardcover.
Next, I contacted these vendors to ask about their books. Here’s what I came up with:
- Viovio laminates their cover but does not use PUR binding.
- Michaels uses PUR binding but does not laminate or coat their covers.
- Mypictales does not laminate or coat their covers.
In other words, no manufacturer is producing the book I want at a reasonable cost! Yes, I am aware of suppliers that will basically do whatever you want, but those companies are cost prohibitive.
If you are aware of any companies I have missed, please let me know. I need to complete my summer vacation photo book soon.